Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Going for the Gold

Recently, Sarah Darling accidentally dumped her gold diamond engagement ring along with all the spare change in her wallet into the cup of a homeless beggar, but noticed the mistake long after she had given the pricey item to the Kansas City man, Billy Ray Harris (photo).

Darling, who hadn't meant to be quite that generous to the man on the street, explained to Kansas City, Mo.'s KCTV that "my rings were bothering me, so I put them in my coin purse."

Darling said she didn't realize what she'd done until the next day.

"I was so incredibly upset because, more than just the value of the ring, it had sentimental value," she said.

Needless to say, Darling returned to the scene the next day.

Harris told the station, "The ring was so big that I knew if it was real, it was expensive."

He recalled, "She squatted down and says, ‘Do you remember me?' And I was like, ‘I don't know. I see a lot of faces.' She says, ‘I might have gave you something very valuable.' I said, ‘Was it a ring?' And she says, ‘Yeah.' And I said, ‘Well, I have it.'"

Harris added that he wasn’t the type to cash in on someone’s misfortune. "My grandfather was a reverend. He raised me from the time I was 6 months old and thank the good Lord, it's a blessing, but I do still have some character," he said.

Darling gratefully told the TV station, "It seemed like a miracle. I thought for sure there was no way I would get it back.”

Harris did not go empty-handed: He again received a donation of money from Darling—this time all the bills she had in her wallet.
______________     
  • Invite your family and friends to Subscribe! to Homeless In America.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the page and vote in the polls.
  • List yourself as a blog follower, middle right column.
  • Donate! to the poor homeless deliveries of food, water, clothing, blankets, socks, underwear, soap, shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste, pocket Bibles, rosaries and prayer cards at http://servantsofthefather.org/donate_2_homeless
  • Post checks to - Servants of the Father of Mercy, Inc., P.O. Box 42001, Los Angeles, CA 90042. All Donations are Tax Deductible.

No comments: