Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Abraham Lincoln Friend of the Poor

From the earliest stories when he was a young lawyer, Abraham Lincoln was known to be very kind and accommodating to the poor and was ever ready to place his talents at their disposal. It's no wonder, he knew poverty first-hand while growing up as a boy in a poverty-stricken farming family on the rugged frontier. Lincoln became known as the president who was the friend of the poor. He once said, "God must love the poor. Why else would he have made so many of them?" In his campaign to end slavery, Lincoln was outspoken about giving charity to all Americans. On the occasion of his second inaugural address he said, "With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds." Lastly, having had been mentored by a deeply God-fearing mother, he once said, “I regard no man as poor who has a godly mother.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been aware for quite sometime that there are many homeless Veterans. I recently came across a 27 year old man who is a Veteran. He has been homeless off and on for the past 5 years. I recall fundraising for the non-profit organization called Veterans of Foreign Wars. I was saddened and angry by the numbers of Veterans who are not getting benefits they deserve (they fought for my freedom) I, due to illness, stopped performing for a decade and recently was asked to participate in an upcoming benefit concert for homeless veterans and the working poor in Selma, Alabama and Marion, Alabama. Yes, is my answer. Abraham Lincoln is a role model in my book.