Saturday, July 11, 2015
Happy Feast of St. Benedict!
On this feast day of St. Benedict, we send prayers and blessings to all the Servants of the Father of Mercy trying in their hearts to follow the Holy Rule of St. Benedict on our team and to all our brothers and sisters doing the same, Prince of Peace Abbey and those named Benedict!
CHAPTER III OF THE HOLY RULE OF ST. BENEDICTThe Instruments of Good Works
1. In the first place to love the Lord God with the whole heart, the whole soul, the whole strength. Then, one's neighbor as one's self (Mt 22:37-39; Mk 12:30-31; Lk 10:27).
2. Not to kill.
3. Not to commit adultery.
4. Not to steal.
5. Not to covet (Rom 13:9).
6. Not to bear false witness (Mt 19:18; Mk 10:19; Lk 18:20).
7. To honor all men (1 Pt 2:17).
8. And what one would not have done to himself, not to do to another (Tob 4:16; Mt 7:12; Lk 6:31).
9. To deny one's self in order to follow Christ (Mt 16:24; Lk 9:23).
10. To chastise the body (1 Cor 9:27).
11. Not to seek after pleasures.
12. To love fasting.
13. To relieve the poor.
14. To clothe the naked.
15. To visit the sick (Mt 25:36).
16. To bury the dead.
17. To visit the prisoner.
18. To help in trouble.
19. To console the sorrowing.
20. To hold one's self detached from worldly ways.
21. To prefer nothing to the love of Christ.
22. Not to give way to anger.
23. Not to foster a desire for revenge.
24. Not to entertain deceit in the heart.
25. Not to make a false peace.
26. Not to forsake charity.
27. Not to swear, lest perchance one swear falsely.
28. To speak the truth with heart and tongue.
29. Not to return evil for evil (1 Thes 5:15; 1 Pt 3:9).
30. To do no injury and even patiently to bear the injury done us.
31. To love one's enemies (Mt 5:44; Lk 6:27).
32. Not to curse them that curse us, but rather to bless them.
33. To bear persecution for justice sake (Mt 5:10).
34. Not to be proud.
35. Not to be given too much wine (Ti 1:7; 1 Tm 3:3).
36. Not to be an overeater.
37. Not to be slothful (Rom 12:11).
38. Not to be a murmurer.
39. Not to be a critic.
40. To put one's trust in God.
41. To refer what good one sees in himself, not to self, but to God. But as to any evil in himself, let him be convinced that it is his own and charge it to himself.
42. To fear the Day of Judgment.
43. To be in dread of hell.
44. To desire eternal life with all spiritual longing.
45. To keep death before one's eyes daily.
46. To keep a constant watch over the actions of our life.
47. To hold as certain that God sees us everything we do everywhere.
48. To dash at once to Christ with the evil thoughts which rise in one's heart, and disclose them to one’s spiritual director.
49. To guard one's tongue against bad and wicked speech.
50. Not to love much speaking.
51. Not to speak useless words and such as to rob conversation and provoke laughter that distracts. Not to love much boisterous laughter.
52. To listen willingly to holy reading.
53. To apply one's self often to personal prayer.
54. To confess one's past sins to God daily in prayer with sighs and tears, and to amend them for the future.
55. Not to fulfill the desires of the flesh (Gal 5:16).
56. To hate one's own will.
57. To obey the commands of the Servant Leader in all things, even though he himself (which Heaven forbid) act otherwise.
58. Not to desire to be called holy before one is; but to be holy first, that one may be truly so called.
59. To fulfill daily the commandments of God by works.
60. To love chastity.
61. To hate no one.
62. Not to be jealous; not to entertain envy.
63. Not to love strife.
64. Not to love pride.
65. To honor the aged.
66. To love the younger.
76. To pray for one's enemies in the love of Christ.
77. To make peace with an adversary before the setting of the sun.
78. And never to despair of God's mercy._______________
Servants of the Father of Mercy, Inc.
Visit our web site: http://servantsofthefather.org
Subscribe to the blog: www.HomelessinAmerica.blogspot.com
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Help4_HomelessJoin us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrotherGaryJoseph