Sunday, March 27, 2011
Energize Your Lenten Journey
Traditionally there are three main components to a profitable Lenten journey: Prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. So, here are 10 ways to live the Lenten season in a spirit of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. There is no particular order to these 10 ways, and they may not be the best or most creative ways. However, if you’re looking for some ideas to energize your Lenten journey, hopefully you will find one or two here. So, how have you been entering into the spirit of Lent? We’d love to hear some of your ways, so please feel free to leave a comment. Your comments may be helpful to the readers of this blog as well.
1. Read a little scripture each day about caring for the poor. Here is a link that will take you there . . . http://home.snu.edu/~HCULBERT/poor.htm
2. Journey the season of Lent with a good book like, Under the Overpass by Mike Yankoski.
3. Reach out to the poor in your “world.” Have lunch with the person who is hurting or rejected in your office, church, neighborhood or school.
4. Pray the Stations of the Cross and enter the world of The Despised, Rejected, Stripped, Poor and Suffering. Check out a number of ways to do this on YouTube.
5. Volunteer at a rescue mission or food line.
6. Give up soft drinks or other daily favorite and then give the money saved at Easter to a homeless person.
7. Collect t-shirts, socks, jeans, blankets and sweat pants among your friends and family and donate them to a shelter.
8. Go to Mass an extra day or two each week and ask to receive the grace to “see” the poor.
9. Take meals as they come, especially if you eat out – be less picky and less demanding – be simple.
10. Turn off the radio when you drive and pray the rosary or Divine Mercy for all the poor homeless souls in your community, nation or the millions who are suffering in Japan at this time.
Subscribe! to http://www.homelessinamerica.blogspot.com/ top right column. Invite your family and friends to Subscribe! Scroll down and vote in the polls. List yourself as a blog follower, middle right column. Donate! To the poor homeless at http://servantsofthefather.org/donate_2_homeless or post checks to - Servants of the Father of Mercy, Inc., P.O. Box 42001, Los Angeles, CA 90042. All Donations are Tax Deductible.