2) I have problems of my own. Matt. 10:8: Luke 6:38 The Bible says "Freely you have received, freely give." Also, "Give and it shall be given unto you."
3) We have programs for them.1 John 3:17: "This is how we know what love is…if anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?"
4) They are lazy and deserve to be there. James 4:12 , Matt. 9:12-13, Col. 3:12: There is only one lawgiver and judge, the One who is able to save and destroy. Who are you to judge your neighbor?
5) We have others in our church that do it for us. Proverbs - 3:28, 19:17, 21:13, 22:9: Do not say to your neighbor, "Go and come back, and tomorrow I will give it," when you have it with you." "He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord." "He will reward him for what he has done."
6) If you give to beggars, you will get more beggars. Matt. 4: 23-25, Acts 10:38: Jesus attracted crowds of poor, sick and desperate people, and He did not turn any away.
7) We are setting a bad example if we give in to their needs. John 13:15, 1 Peter 2:21: "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you." Jesus was our example in service, suffering and giving.
8) The Bible says "You don't work – you don't eat." Matt. 14:13-20: Jesus had compassion on the multitudes and multiplied fishes and loaves to feed them.
9) I didn't know there was a need. Acts 17:30: There was a time when God overlooked ignorance, but now God holds us accountable to what we know.
10) I don't know how to help. James 1:3, Luke 11:9: Ask for wisdom, ask for the Holy Spirit.
Submitted by an UrbanMinistry Blogger on Friday, April 24, 2009, http://www.urbanministry.org/bloggers
Subscribe! to http://www.homelessinamerica.blogspot.com/ top right column.
Invite your family and friends to Subscribe!
Scroll down and vote in the polls.
List yourself as a blog follower, middle right column.