Total Pageviews

Monday, November 5, 2007

Homeless Child

I sit, cold and alone on the street …
Eyeing a piece of dog chewed meat.
Five days I haven't had a bit to eat ...
And my stomach aches, my body is weak.
The wind that rustles through the trees …
Pierces my skin, and all warmth flees.
I find shelter with my brother …
Lying in a doorway next to each other.
The world has said it cares …
But in reality no one dares.
The site of me makes them sick.
It’s an appearance I do not pick.
Please, give me aid …
Or from this life I soon will fade.

by an Anonymous Homeless Person, October 10, 2006

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a deep poem. It's an unfortunate truth that this person sees exactly how the majority of society views him/her. It's a shame that society won't even try to imagine what it's like to be in that persons shoes! What it's like to not have food every single day...to feel what it's like to have your body go into starvation mode...to just be outside on a cold night with no shelter or blanket, and relying on body heat for warmth. It's unimagineable for most that have all the comforts of life.

If this person could only see the few that have mercy and compassion for those less fortunate, maybe he/she would be able to rise from the ashes and know that there will be help.

Anonymous said...

Very moving and poignant poem. Really there are people who care. I pray this person will be touched by some of us who do care.